Yeovil Sports Club was established in 1948 when local benefactor, Stanley Johnson purchased the land at what is now known as Johnson Park and put it in the control of a group of Trustees with Yeovil Sports Club running and managing the facilities.
The main condition of the Trust was that the land was to be made available for members of the community to join the Club and use the sports facilities, etc.
Since that time there have been many changes at Johnson Park with a number of organisations coming and going notably, perhaps, Yeovil Harriers and Yeovil Rugby Football Club.
The current Clubhouse was built in the late ‘60’s on the site of the original Clubhouse.
Some of the older locals may remember the old tennis courts when they were on what is now the housing estate known as Court Gardens (hence the name). This land was sold for development in the ‘80’s and the proceeds of the sale went towards various improvements to the facilities—principally the construction of 3 new floodlit tennis courts, the building of changing facilities, a cricket pavilion and an artificial cricket wicket.
The sports grounds have seen many teams of various sports come and go and the cricket ground once used to host County matches. Between 1951 and 1967, Somerset County Cricket Club played 12 first-class cricket matches on the ground, and Somerset also played two List A matches there, one each in 1969 and 1970.